||September 20, 2019
||Magazines / Publishing
Founded in 1970, we are the premier global publisher and the essential source of news and analysis for over 150,000 tax professionals, with correspondents in more than 125 countries, and a staff of almost 200.
Tax Analysts offers a casual work environment -- pet friendly and relaxed dress code -- where talented individuals come together to produce great work. Our staff enjoys free covered parking, an exercise room with showers, and a working environment that embraces team collaboration and innovation. Here you will have the opportunity to pursue a fulfilling career and still have time for what's important to you personally, such as family, travel, education, or giving back to the community.
We are committed to providing a workplace that offers family-friendly policies and a flexible atmosphere that caters to the needs of working professionals. We strive to offer a realistic work/life balance, competitive compensation, and a generous benefits package.
We are currently seeking an experience news editor to join our Tax Notes Today Federal online daily publication.
SUMMARY: Writes and edits news stories and other editorial content for publication. May be responsible for quickly and accurately publishing breaking news alerts, assigning stories, and coordinating work between reporters. This person has newsroom experience and understands the important balance of telling a compelling story without neglecting technical details for our audience of tax professionals. Under the direction of the editor in chief, the news editor ensures stories are clear, concise, and contain the necessary substance and context before moving them through the publication process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned to meet editorial objectives.
- Edits, reviews, and may assign daily news stories for print and electronic publications.
- Under the direction of the editor, contributes to the preparation of news stories and documents for publication, including directing reporters, answering questions, and coordinating between editorial and production departments.
- Exercises excellent news judgment and uses skills and experience to solve problems on complex news stories on tight deadlines.
- Generates story ideas, giving specific attention to timely coverage of important tax issues. Identifies important events and ensures coverage of them.
- Quickly and effectively edit news stories for content and style, according to established policies and procedures.
- Writes compelling headlines, subheads, and photo captions as needed or required.
- Coordinates with other editorial departments to assure quality of published articles.
- Monitors government law-writing bodies for important tax-related legislation and events.
- Collaborates with reporters and editors to ensure a consistently high level of quality in the writing and editing of news stories.
- Adheres to established publication deadlines and practices.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Demonstrated writing, editing, and proofreading skills; must be a highly proficient editor
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain rapport
- Must be able to communicate clearly and respectfully, and give specific instructions to reporters and other staff
- Strong interest in tax policy issues
- Ability to work effectively under deadline pressure
- Familiarity with online publishing and web-content management
- Highly motivated and well-organized
- Must be able to effectively supervise, inspire confidence, and motivate staff
- Works well in a team environment, including working effectively with subject-matter experts
- 3+ years of journalism experience, including at least one year of related writing and editing experience required
- BA in English, writing, or journalism, or equivalent experience preferred.
- Knowledge of tax issues, the legal system, and congressional and regulatory processes highly desirable
- Experience working with the public in a professional capacity also highly desirable
- Thorough understanding of editorial and publication processes
- Proficiency in Drupal or similar publishing software and other typical office software desirable
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019