|Date Posted||September 16, 2019|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Phoenix Business Journal is looking for a full-time Digital Editor. The Digital Editor owns and manages PBJ’s digital content across all platforms, including web, email and social media. The ideal candidate possesses a high level of confidence and will thrive in a newsroom that values scoops and exclusive reporting above all else, and knows its audience well. Working directly under the Managing Editor, the Digital Editor will work with staff reporters, interns and freelancers to develop and edit their online content. He or she will also produce compelling daily or feature online content that drives engagement, grows our audience and extends the PBJ brand. The content created by the Digital Editor could be anything from a breaking business news story to a slideshow, an interactive data-driven story or a feature-length article. In short, the ideal candidate is a Swiss Army Knife who is comfortable writing on any beat, who barely breaks a sweat while multitasking, can write quickly and concisely and thrives under pressure.
• Report and write as well as occasionally aggregate engaging online content throughout the day from a variety of sources, including public company filings
• Edit stories produced by staff reporters, interns and freelancers and help them shape coverage on their beats
• Direct coverage in breaking news situations, in tandem with the rest of the newsroom team.
• Curate, write, rank and publish PBJ’s morning and afternoon email products and breaking news alerts.
• Gather and upload graphics, photos and other visuals for digital features
• Master digital graphics tools available to the newsroom and create digital graphics as needed.
• Track metrics, measure engagement and help staff identify and deploy tactics to meet traffic and engagement goals
• Manage social media streams and execute on strategies to build engagement
• Work with editors, reporters and other stakeholders to plan new content and features for web and print
• Work collaboratively with peers in photography, design and research
• Exceptional news judgment
• Strong reporting and writing skills
• Editing and headline-writing skills preferred
• Leadership acumen and a desire to work collaboratively
• Familiarity with SEO and site/traffic/engagement metrics
• A firm belief in the power of social media
• Able to balance high standards for content quality with ambitious traffic and engagement objectives
• Driven to develop relationships and connect with sources
• Demonstrated use of databases to build interactive elements and features
• Comfortable working in a content management system
• Able to understand and interpret site metrics
• Multimedia interest and acumen — video and audio, especially — is critical. The ability to create simple infographics a plus
• Knowledge of HTML a plus
• At least 2 years’ experience in a newsroom setting
• Digital/online reporting experience
• Robust social media user
• Business reporting a plus
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
To apply, send a resume, cover letter and three of your best clips to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development, American City Business Journals
The Phoenix Business Journal and its 40+ sister publications are part of American City Business Journals, the No. 1 source for local business news in the nation. We publish daily online, weekly in print and deliver multiple daily email products, as well as host monthly events attended by hundreds of business executives. The Phoenix Business Journal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.