The Southern Poverty Law Center seeks an Assistant Media Director who will develop, implement and oversee comprehensive public education campaigns and communications strategies that shape public discourse and elevate the organization’s programmatic work.
The Assistant Media Director will report directly to the Media Director and will be responsible for an array of communications activities that amplify the organization’s legal, legislative and programmatic work regionally and nationally.
Under minimal supervision, the Assistant Media Director must be able to manage a small team, juggle multiple assignments and collaborate effectively with team members at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment.
This posting is for one position that can be located in any of the following locations: Montgomery, AL; Washington D.C., or Atlanta, GA.
Primary Job Functions:
- Managing a small team of communications professionals toward successful outcomes;
- Designing and implementing litigation, legislation and public policy communications for specific bodies of work determined by the Media Director;
- Collaborating with team members in design, digital, editorial, social, legal and programs to design, develop and implement comprehensive public education campaigns and communications strategies, with input and guidance from the Media Director;
- Tracking breaking news and working with team members to implement rapid response communications tactics;
- Obtain media coverage through story and OpEd pitches that help shape public discourse and elevate the organization’s work;
- Booking SPLC experts on radio and TV to elevate SPLC’s work and taking advantage of opportunities in the news cycle;
- Planning and organizing press conferences, podcasts and other events;
- Fielding media requests on a daily basis;
- Writing messaging for SPLC’s issues and activities;
- Writing and editing press releases and advisories, talking points, OpEds, letters to the editor, fact sheets, and other materials;
- Developing and distributing press materials;
- Building and cultivating relationships with key reporters, editorial writers, columnists, producers, and news and talk show hosts.
Related Work Experience:
- A minimum of 8 years’ communications work experience, with an emphasis in either agency, in-house or nonprofit;
- Knowledge of and experience working with regional and national news media and online media;
- Exceptional communications skills, including clear, concise writing and ability to frame complex issues for the media, supporters and public.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interest in and passion for social and racial justice;
- Team player with entrepreneurial spirit and ability to collaborate effectively with staff members at all levels in fast-paced environment;
- Must take direction well but be self-motivated with ability to work independently;
- Ability to work under deadline pressure;
- Highly organized and possess the ability to prioritize work;
- Familiarity with advocacy and/or political efforts;
- Proficient in statement/press release distribution platforms like Meltwater and Cision;
- Knowledge of media tracking platforms like Critical Mention;
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019