||August 12, 2019
Reporting to the Executive Editor, the Managing Editor will oversee the daily news operation. This position will help make sure the strongest story experiences are being presented in the most engaging ways possible on each platform. This position works with editors, reporters, producers and the majority of newsroom staff every day, overseeing their newsgathering efforts and being a final set of eyes on their work before it’s published. The ideal candidate will have a strong record of supporting and growing talent. The Managing Editor possesses a sophisticated and nuanced understanding of how to drive editorial impact in the Pacific Northwest region through original reporting and multiplatform storytelling.
Qualified applicants please apply here.
Key Job Responsibilities
- This leader appreciates the growth, scope and innovation that Cascade Public Media has undergone in the past few years; but also sees potential and opportunity, as well as the necessity, of the organization's editorial vision growing and developing even further.
- Leading the daily/weekly Crosscut coverage meetings, creating an atmosphere that encourages innovative, enterprising and high-impact journalism reflective of the diverse communities Cascade Public Media serves.
- The Managing Editor works very closely and reports to the Executive Editor, who is responsible for setting the overall strategy and goals for the CPM editorial group.
- On a daily basis, ensure news vision for innovation, diversity and community service that reflects CPM's communities and organizational mission.
- Work with other editors to foster and recruit a diverse network of freelance writers, columnists and multimedia and video producers.
II. Editorial Oversight
- Provides editorial oversight and direction for reporters, editors and producers carrying out Crosscut's coverage mission.
- Ensure integrity of news content in all phases of writing and production.
- Provides coaching and reviews work with reporters and editors on a regular basis.
- Assigns and maps daily coverage and enterprise, working with the team of editors, section leads and staff journalists.
- Communicate continuously, collaboratively and effectively with Crosscut leadership and newsroom staff to plan and ensure planned coverage goals are achieved.
- Oversees special projects for high-profile initiatives that require senior oversight and decision-making. Examples for 2019 include Tribal Affairs audience project, Central Washington reporter, Emerging Fellows program, more.
- Serve as a Cascade Public Media representative in planning and attending community events and fostering collaboration with partner organizations where opportunities arise.
- Develop a network of contacts in the community that can help identify issues that are not being covered by other media outlets.
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in broadcasting, journalism, communications, new media, business or a related field or equivalent experience required; advanced study or a graduate degree preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in local news is preferred for this job as well as at least 3 years of news management experience.
- Demonstrated success in working collaboratively with peers; significant experience organizing and managing multiple priorities, and in developing and managing projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for building and fostering key internal and external relationships as well as the ability to mentor less experienced employees.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Deep understanding of journalism ethics and practices, with nonprofit or public media experience preferred.
- Excellent news judgment.
- Must be thoroughly professional in all aspects of journalism.
- Enthusiasm for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment.
- Must possess a positive attitude.
1. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.
2. Ability to type on a keyboard for long periods of time.
3. Ability to view data on a computer screen for long periods of time.
Cascade Public Media is committed to building a team that represents a diversity of thought, experience and personal background.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019