||August 01, 2019
||Magazines / Publishing
||$40,000 to $45,000
Virginia Business, the only publication dedicated to covering economic activity in every region of the state, is seeking a deputy editor. This deputy editor will assist with editing, producing content and assigning stories for the magazine’s supplemental publications and special projects. The individual also writes, edits, gathers and fact-checks content for Virginia Business’ print magazine, website and newsletters, as well as performing other duties as assigned. Candidates must possess strong project management skills and be able to thrive in a busy newsroom environment.
Candidates should have at least five years of full-time journalism experience with a proven track record of generating story ideas and writing hard news, business articles and feature stories. Experience with business reporting and editing is preferred, as is familiarity with Virginia.
Established in 1986, Virginia Business has won dozens of state and national journalism awards. Virginia Business is located in downtown Richmond’s Shockoe Slip Historic District at 1207 E. Main St., #100.
- Overseeing and assisting with production of supplemental publications and special projects, including Hampton Roads Business guide; Virginia Business Site Locator; Virginia Meetings guide; and Virginia Maritime Guide.
- Assigning, editing and writing articles for print and online.
- Gathering, analyzing and editing large amounts of data to prepare charts and other content.
- Compiling and distributing daily e-newsletters a minimum of two to three days a week to be distributed before 6:30 a.m.
- Posting and updating content on VirginiaBusiness.com as needed.
- Assisting with promotion of publication’s content on social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, as needed.
- Recruiting and supervising interns.
- Strong writing and reporting skills
- Self-starter with ability to generate compelling story ideas
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to pivot quickly between projects as needed
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong copy editing skills
- Good at fact-checking and pays attention to detail
- Skilled in AP Style
- Ability to create engaging content
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader and other commonly used applications
- Knows basic HTML
- Able to post content to WordPress and other content management platforms
- Proficient with Constant Contact and/or similar email marketing platforms such as MailChimp
- Proficient with social media
Please email cover letter, résumé and samples of recent published articles to Virginia Business Editor Richard Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019