|Date Posted||July 21, 2019|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
VTDigger seeks data reporter
VTDigger.org has an immediate opening for a data reporter. The successful applicant must be creative, tenacious, ethical, competitive and a team player.
We’re looking for an experienced data reporter who can help us uncover the latest trends and create tools that help readers better understand how the Vermont economy, institutions and government are changing.
This person will play an integral role in shaping our reporting on health care, criminal justice, business trends, politics, K-12 education and the environment.
The ideal candidate will have experience scraping websites, analyzing public filings, as well as expertise in creating databases and producing compelling data visualizations.
The data reporter joins a team of dedicated beat reporters who regularly break news, aggressively pursue public records and pursue investigative stories.
Pay and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to Anne Galloway, executive director of the Vermont Journalism Trust, firstname.lastname@example.org
What You’ll Bring:
– A reader-first perspective
– A creative and data-driven approach to storytelling
– Proficiency cleaning and parsing data (Python, R, or SQL, preferably)
– Experience gathering and interpreting data from a variety of sources, analyzing it, and using it to identify unique stories
– Ability to create databases and data tools to inform a general audience
– Proficiency with HTML5 and CSS3
– Experience with interactive data visualization, preferably with D3.js
– Experience with front-end frameworks such as React and Vue
– Experience managing SQL or NoSQL databases, and creating REST APIs
– Experience with version control management (Git)
– Experience deploying applications to Heroku or AWS
VTDigger is the fastest growing daily news organization in Vermont with 320,000 unique readers a month, a staff of 24 and an annual budget of $2 million.
We hold people accountable, push for action and search for solutions. We specialize in watchdog reporting on state government, business and politics. Our work has been recognized nationally as a model for investigative nonprofits and our reporting is frequently picked up by Politico, the Washington Post and the New York Times.
Send your resume to this employer.