|Date Posted||December 02, 2019|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires, Digital Media|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
|Salary||$45,000 and up|
The Virginia Mercury, a Richmond-based nonprofit, nonpartisan online news site, seeks an experienced reporter to cover state government and policy, with a focus on education and health care, among other areas. Primary responsibilities will include covering state boards, commissions, the governor's office and other executive agencies as well as the yearly General Assembly session. The position is based in Richmond, but we want someone determined to get out of the capital regularly to report on how policy made here affects people across the state.
Essential responsibilities and tasks
• Produce regular, enterprising reporting that goes beyond daily coverage to explain and contextualize policy issues for readers
• Contribute regularly to The Bulletin, the Mercury’s blog
• Generate story ideas with the editorial team
• Pursue story leads with strong self-direction and news judgment
• Assist other reporters with research and pertinent knowledge
• Establish and expand social media presence representing the outlet
• Use personal social media accounts to amplify the Mercury's content
• Take quality photos to illustrate stories
• Must have reliable personal transportation — mileage is reimbursed
Required education and experience
• Bachelor’s degree and at least two to three years of previous news reporting and/or editing experience
Valued experience, knowledge, skills and ability
• Previous experience covering state government, health care or education preferred
• Self-starter with sound news judgment and ability to simultaneously manage ongoing short- and long-term projects
The Mercury is part of the States Newsroom network of sites covering state capitols.
We offer a competitive salary ($45,000 and up depending on experience) and a generous benefits package.
Send your resume, a brief introductory statement and clips (links or pdfs) to Editor in Chief Robert Zullo: email@example.com