||July 03, 2019
||Digital Media, Nonprofit
Be part of the essential fight against online censorship and for free speech as part of the Media Research Center TechWatch team. The MRC is a traditional conservative organization. The Associate Editor will write and edit TechWatch content for NewsBusters and help direct day-to-day coverage. A deadline-oriented team player is needed to help take this project to the next level.
This is a job for someone who is active online and has at least 3-5 years journalism experience writing and editing.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Write daily content for NewsBusters.org
- Edit content from staff writers and freelance contributors.
- Edit other NewsBusters content including MRC Culture.
- Produce memos and research for in-house use
- Capture and produce video to go with stories as needed.
- Monitor and research issues of importance to free speech.
- Network with conservatives online and in person.
- Guide younger writers in how to improve their writing.
- Conceive, develop and write longer trend stories and Special Reports about media bias.
- Produce weekly media report for department.
- Attend newsmaker events in Washington, D.C. area pertinent media bias and cultural issues.
- Promote content on social media.
Required Experience & Education:
- Journalism training or journalism experience.
- 4-year college degree.
- 3-5 years minimum professional experience writing and editing.
- Basic math skill.
- Knowledge of AP Style.
- Knowledge of video capturing/editing or the ability to learn it.
Performance & Success Metrics:
- Ensure stories are clean, accurate and timely.
- Make sure that content reflects a pro-free speech position and the positions of the Media Research Center and the Free Speech Alliance.
- Write daily and longer-term stories with impact.
- Know how web, TV, print and social media treat relevant topics.
- Cultivate a “beat” or “beats” covering key free speech issues.
- Build relationships with other conservative organizations.
- Strong news judgment.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Utterly dependable and deadline-oriented.
- Multimedia skills or the desire to acquire them – embedding video and audio into stories.
- Understanding of social media and willingness to learn more.
- Must have passionate conservative convictions as well as a firm belief in free speech.
Send cover letter, resume and writing samples to:
The Media Research Center is an equal opportunity employer.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019