|Date Posted||June 26, 2019|
|Industry||Magazines / Publishing|
About the Role
CQ Roll Call is seeking a versatile news production editor for copy editing and all facets of digital and print production, including website maintenance. In this role, you will be part of a team responsible for two websites -- one public-facing and the other subscription-driven – aimed at sophisticated audiences interested in politics, policy, and the federal legislative and regulatory process. The team is also responsible for production of a newspaper four times a week when Congress is in session, as well as multiple newsletters. The Production Team is critical to expanding the newsroom’s abilities to produce high-impact content and launch new verticals.
As a production editor, you will copy edit stories for content, clarity and style, and assist in compelling digital and print displays. You will move stories from digital to print, write headlines and proof pages. Strong news judgment, attention to detail and the ability to work under deadline pressure amid fast-changing events are musts.
The typical schedule will be from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m., Monday to Friday. There will be times when you’ll need to work an earlier shift or on weekends.
- Edit stories, briefs, newsletters and other content to meet CQ Roll Call’s high standards for quality and excellence
- Move stories from the digital to print platform
- Write sharply focused headlines, cutlines and alerts
- Proof pages and trim stories as needed to fit allotted space.
- Coordinate with assignment editors to help polish content before publication
- Be one of a rotating group of editors to update the CQ and Roll Call home pages several times a day
- Add metadata to government-related documents and post them on the CQ site for subscribers
- Pass written tests on editing, AP style and congressional knowledge
- At least 3 years of experience in production or editing roles at newspapers, magazines, news websites or other media outlets. Experience in a Washington bureau or state capital is helpful.
- Knowledge of or demonstrable interest in Congress, the White House, elections and/or the federal budget and appropriations process
- Mastered AP style
- Experience using print and/or online publishing systems and tools, including WordPress, Adobe InCopy/InDesign, Photoshop
About CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and hearing rooms. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics and personalities of Capitol Hill. Our journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate and how the process affects your interests. We have print, digital and multimedia products as well as topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, committee and floor votes. Our journalists have won the Dirksen Award for Distinguished Reporting on Congress and honors from the White House News Photographers Association and National Press Club.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.