|Date Posted||June 20, 2019|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
Here at the Summit Daily News, we punch above our weight, producing award-winning, impactful journalism that seeks to hold authority accountable and strengthen the bonds of our communities. We live to tell the story of Summit County, where people from across the country come to worship the outdoors. We're looking for an adventurous spirit with a love for mountain towns. Our assistant editor role is a combination of copy desk chief and magazines editor and is responsible for supporting the editor in a variety of newsroom functions. This position edits or rewrites copy, provides assignments and guidance to reporters and freelancers, and coordinates layout with the copy desk.
If this sounds like the job for you, please visit www.swiftcom.com/careers and select job 1782.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
• Review stories for clarity, accuracy, readability and content for the daily newspaper and magazines.
• Edit, request revisions or rewrite news stories.
• Check facts through extensive and meticulous research.
• Provide feedback to reporters on performance and makes suggestions on sources or additional facts needed for stories.
• Assist copy desk with layout by providing additional materials such as graphs, charts, photos or videos so the reader can better understand story concepts.
• Lay out stories for the daily paper, weekly special sections and occasional special projects.
• Hire freelance writers for magazine publications.
• Create content plans for all magazines, distribute assignments to in-house staff and freelancers.
• Manage scheduling on the copy desk.
• Maintain production schedules and update editor on progress or issues.
• Participate in content planning to decide on direction, design and future trends of publication.
• Assist in planning of series and feature stories.
• Post news stories online and to social media.
• Lead one-on-one and group sessions to coach, guide and direct staff work assignments.
• Interact with all editorial, advertising, business office, design and production staff.
• Participates in community events and company functions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• College degree in journalism, communications, English or related field.
• Prior newspaper editing experience.
• Excellent people and leadership skills.
• Ability to work on deadline and handle pressure.
Swift Communications is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.