||June 14, 2019
||Newspapers / Wires, Magazines / Publishing, Nonprofit
||$45,000 - $50,000
The Archdiocese of Detroit is undergoing a missionary transformation to unleash the Gospel in southeast Michigan. The News Editor will work closely with the Editor-in-Chief of Detroit Catholic in producing compelling, timely and relevant content for a diverse audience and evolving communications platforms including web, email, audio/video, print periodicals and social media channels.
The News Editor will be responsible not only for editing print work, but will also be responsible to produce two to three articles per week, along with developing and preparing content daily for publication on DetroitCatholic.com and Detroit Catholic social media channels. This may include copy editing functions, organizing photos, stories and social media graphics, working with freelance reporters and photographers, managing news wires and fielding calls from outside sources and readers. This professional should be self-motivated and inquisitive, with an ability to tell the same story differently for web, print, audio/video and social media platforms. An ability to proactively develop, refine and pitch compelling story ideas of interest to local Catholics is also key.
This role requires travel throughout the six-county archdiocese to conduct interviews, attend special Masses, school activities and other Catholic events of interest. An ability to work evenings and weekends is required based on the stories being covered. The News Editor
/Staff Writer should demonstrate a working knowledge of and respect for the Catholic Church’s moral and theological precepts, beliefs, structures and practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND TASKS REQUIRED BY THIS JOB
Reporting, Writing and Content Production
- Write and create content daily in a variety of formats from news to social media to long-form narratives on Church issues primarily within the archdiocese, but also of national and global interest with an eye to how it relates to the 1.2 million area Catholics.
- Research, interview and write two to three original articles per week
- Pursue story leads, sources and contacts, generating and maintaining relationships with Church leaders both clergy and lay.
- Take and edit photos and record multimedia (or arrange for them) in conjunction with stories.
- Attend Masses and events throughout the six-county Archdiocese of Detroit and elsewhere.
Editing and Platform Management
- Assist with editing functions for a daily online publication, including news stories, wire content, sports, obituaries, email, social media platforms and multimedia (photo/video/audio) assets
- Create headlines and cut-lines, as well as social media copy for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Prepare content for publication using an online content management system (CMS)
- Adhere to Detroit Catholic and Archdiocese of Detroit styles, norms and practices including Associated Press (AP) Style and the USCCB’s CNS style guide.
- Adhere to deadlines and requirements as given by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Fact-check stories for accuracy, style and appropriateness.
- Avoid plagiarism and adhere to copyright, information and publishing laws, including for photography.
- Keep informed and aware of news of interest to Catholics, especially in the Archdiocese of Detroit.
- Proactively find, develop and pitch compelling news and feature stories.
- Solicit, collect and organize information for annual and semi-annual features, including fish fries, parish festivals, event listings and crowdsourced stories.
- Provide regular status updates on stories and projects to the editor.
- Maintain confidentiality of correspondence, conversations and materials processed through the Department of Communications and its affiliated departments and ministries.
- Respect story and information embargoes, especially when originated from within the Archdiocese of Detroit, and communicate all such embargoes to the editor.
- Maintain respect at all times for the Catholic Church and its moral and theological beliefs, precepts, leadership, structure and practices, especially as portrayed in news and feature stories.
- Maintain professional appearance and demeanor, especially when dealing with outside sources or contacts.
Education, Knowledge and Skills
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or related field is required.
- Two years’ experience as a content creator either as a print or multimedia journalist or corporate communications writer
- Fluency in social media platforms for both personal and marketing purposes.
- Excellent English communication skills, including copywriting, proofreading and speaking.
- Strong interpersonal skills both in person and by phone with high professionalism.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments with a variety of coworkers, freelancers, clients, and volunteers on tight deadlines.
- Comprehensive knowledge of policy and cultural issues facing the Catholic Church in Michigan, the U.S., and globally.
Specialized Knowledge & Training
- Experience operating a digital SLR camera and taking news-quality photographs.
- Experience operating audio- and video-recording equipment and software.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop and Lightroom, is strongly desired.
- Ability to manage content in an online environment (CMS); HTML and CSS experience is a plus.
- Must have reliable form of transportation with a valid driver’s license.
- Willingness to work outside of normal business hours to cover breaking news and events, including evenings and weekends, especially during emergency or time-critical situations.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills; high level of accuracy; exceptional attention to detail and ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Resourceful, reliable and accountable with a strong work ethic.
- The ability to work outdoors
Send your resume to this employer.
Email the resume you posted on JournalismJobs.com to this employer.
Don't have a resume posted on JournalismJobs.com? Click here to post one now!
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019