||June 14, 2019
The Center Square is seeking a highly motivated regional editor to lead our coverage of state governments in the Midwest. We're looking for someone who has both editing and government reporting experience, and a strong interest and understanding of politics and public policy.
The media industry in the U.S. is shrinking, leaving fewer options for readers to digest the decisions made by their state and local government officials. The Center Square, the state-focused reporting division of the non-partisan, non-profit Franklin News Foundation, seeks to fill this journalistic void in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa with hands-on reporting of state news from the taxpayers’ perspective.
This key role will be joining other state news operations as we expand our impact in the states.
- Supervise reporters, manage planning of coverage, edit daily news stories and post to TheCenterSquare.com
- Report on state government activity, monitor legislative and policy developments that affect the region, and use public records and databases to ferret out waste, fraud and abuse.
- Recruit freelance journalists to help cover the region; assign stories to freelance journalists, and edit stories.
- Promote The Center Square stories to local and regional media partners in the states
- Cultivate trusted sources to provide leads on potential stories, including those inside and outside government, think tanks, academia, unions and the business community.
- Monitor the state media landscape to identify popular topics and potential media partners.
- Live in or near Lansing, Michigan, preferred, with the ability to attend legislative hearings at the state capitol as needed. Compensation for relocation will not be offered.
- Have excellent writing and research abilities, and adhere to Associated Press style.
- Take direction well, and have the ability to work remotely.
- Look beyond government-mandated press releases and reports to determine the real impact of policy on taxpayers and job creators.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, political science, or a related field is preferred.
To apply, please send resume and writing samples to Dan McCaleb, executive editor, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019