|Date Posted||September 23, 2019|
The Washington Examiner is a political news organization based in Washington, DC. It is looking to hire a digital-savvy, driven journalist to join our team as a copy editor.
Responsibilities for these positions include:
• Copy editing stories, including opinion and news, for accuracy and grammar.
• Utilizing newsroom CMS to format stories, including the addition of graphics, video, and meta tags.
• Cooperating with digital team to manage the Washington Examiner homepage.
• Regularly following the news cycle and looking for emerging stories and topics to pitch.
• Monitoring analytics to gauge story/packaging performance.
• Tracking story performance on content intelligence software and reporting data to newsroom.
• Managing breaking news alerts across platforms, including browser, mobile, and email.
• Writing copy from time to time.
Requirements for these positions:
• Online newsroom experience.
• Experience with producing news content for social distribution, as well as search and SEO best practices.
• Sound news judgment and best practices under time pressure.
• One to three years' experience managing or producing content as part of a news organization.
• Demonstrated experience in new media, social media, and emerging platforms.
• Comfort embracing emerging storytelling techniques and technologies.
• Familiarity with analytics.
• News junkie.
• A college degree.
Additionally, all members of this team should embrace:
• Working for a politics-centered news outlet in downtown Washington, D.C.
• Thinking big, working wisely, and quickly iterating.
• Seeing a project through from start to finish.
• Partnering with and teaching newsroom peers.
• Having ideas on what the future of online news looks like.
Please send a resume and references to David Sivak at email@example.com. Applicants will be expected to complete a copy-editing exam.