|Date Posted||July 11, 2019|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
The Union, a six-day award-winning community newspaper, in the Northern California foothills of the Sierra Nevada, seeks a staff writer with the skills to break news online and put it into perspective in print.
Our highly engaged readership is responding to our online efforts, growing web traffic by 30 percent in 2017, on top of similar growth in 2016. Our community wants to know what’s going on now, and we’re delivering the locally relevant content they need in whatever format they choose.
Top candidates show skills beyond filing stories and photos for print, taking advantage of all the tools of today’s journalists. Social media, photography and video skills are a must, as are the chops to dig into issue-oriented enterprise packages that meet our community-focused content strategy. We’re looking for energetic self-starters whose passion for this work fuels them in a fast-paced and fun work environment that thrives on a team approach.
Western Nevada County’s communities of Grass Valley and Nevada City are situated in the breathtaking beauty of the foothills on the western slope of the Sierra Nevada. Outdoors activities and entertainment options are abundant here, locally and within short drives to Lake Tahoe, Reno, Sacramento and the Bay Area.
To apply, please visit www.swiftcom.com/careers and select job 1789.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
• Writes stories and shoots photographs for multiple products and projects
• Posts stories and rich media to websites and social media as required
• Aids in the design and presentation of content
• Communicates with editors and reporters
• Works with editors on packaging/storytelling opportunities
• Works with peers and other editors on special projects
• As assigned/requested writes and files briefs and community items based on material provided by the public of taken from coverage of a beat
• Active participation in planning sessions and weekly team meetings
• College degree(may be waived based on experience & demonstrated skills)
• Experience in a newsroom environment
• Excellent communications and listening skills, both written and verbal.
• Strong computer/digital skills with understanding of various platforms including social media and mastery over computer/digital programs and software utilized in production of stories and photographs and video
• Demonstrated organizational skills
• Working knowledge of Associated Press style and an understanding of the daily newspaper environment.
• Be a digital-first journalist, following the newsroom’s digital content plan.
Swift Communications is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.