With big changes coming to the structure of federal agencies, there has never been a more interesting time to do quality journalism about the inner workings of government. For more than 25 years, FCW has covered the complex world of federal government – its policies, technologies, workforce and management strategies. We are seeking an experienced staff writer to help expand and deepen our coverage of the business of federal technology.
This individual will be an integral part of a highly collaborative newsroom, reporting and writing on both the latest news and big-picture trends at the White House, the agencies, the Pentagon and on Capitol Hill. We need a hard-charging reporter, talented wordsmith and a curious mind interested in developing an expertise on technology and government to help tell our readers where their world is headed.
• Cover industry and government events, newsmaker appearances and other spot news throughout the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, filing an average of 5-10 short articles per week.
• Research, report and write 2-3 longer pieces each month that get ahead of the story and can drive the conversation on key issues.
• Cultivate sources; deepen own expertise on the intersection of technology and government.
• Help conceive and develop story ideas both large and small.
• A minimum of 3 years' experience reporting and writing for a print or online news publication is required.
• Direct experience covering the technology, business, Congress or federal agencies is strongly preferred, though other relevant beat experience will be considered.
• Proven ability to write clearly and accurately on tight deadlines.
• Demonstrated talent for explaining complex stories to a knowledgeable, professional audience.
• Capacity to balance both daily and longer-term deadlines for multiple stories and overlapping projects.
• Ability to produce high-quality journalism both independently and in close collaboration with FCW colleagues.
• Solid understanding of open source digital reporting tools and some experience or understanding of leveraging open government statutes..
• Ability to use social media to gather information and generate interest in your own reporting
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field; demonstrated knowledge of AP style.
• Strong work ethic, intellectual curiosity and commitment to continuous improvement.
1105 MEDIA, INC. is a leading provider of integrated business-to-business information and media. The markets we serve include Government, Education, Network & Enterprise Computing, Business Intelligence, Industrial Health & Safety, Compliance, Security, Environmental Protection, Water & Wastewater, and Home Medical Equipment. Our products focus on technology, products, policy, regulation, and news delivered through an assortment of media including print and online magazines, journals, and newsletters; seminars, conferences, executive summits, and trade shows; training and courseware; and web-based services. 1105 Media is based in Chatsworth, CA, with offices throughout the United States and more than 200 employees.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k) plan and a generous paid time off (PTO)/holiday plan.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.