|Date Posted||March 17, 2017|
Maker City is a social-impact consultancy based in San Francisco. In 2016, we wrote the book on the Maker City (http://mcbook.me/amaz100) in conjunction with the Obama White House and its Office of Science and Technology Policy. The book explores how the ethos of the maker movement can help bridge the significant gap between 1) the skills available in the workforce and 2) the types of jobs and economic opportunity available. A skills gap that cities and towns can close by following the prescriptions we lay out in the book.
In 2017, we are looking to add a skilled researcher and writer to our team, to help us affect real change. Your job will be to capture the stories and best practices coming out of cities and towns in the U.S. as they adopt recommendations to:
- Allow young people to go hands on with the modern tools of production (computer science, CAD/CAM, robotics, electronics, CNC tooling)
- Better align skills training with the needs of local employers
- Create an ecosystem that allows local manufacturing to thrive
- Come together on a regional basis to create competitive advantage and greater economic opportunity
One of our core projects in 2017 involves working with U.S. News and World Report (151 Million uniques per month); it is possible that your work will get visibility on their site and on our other partners' site(s).
The ideal candidate comes to this with a background in politics, public policy, business, and/or technology.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a writing portfolio.
- Should be organized, creative, and detail oriented
- Familiarity with WordPress is a must
- Must want to be a contributing part of a growing and ambitious team
- Must be reliable, motivated, and punctual
- Must thrive on the autonomy of working remotely
- Must have tertiary familiarity or experience with at least one of the following: technology, data science, and/or manufacturing
- Use audio interviews and data from our partner(s) to write quality editorial pieces for Maker City. See our blog at http://makercity.com/topics/blog/ for examples of the types of pieces we want you to author
- Be a part of brand and content strategy discussions
- Be an active contributor in the creative output of the company
- Ghost writing for a HuffingtonPost column and other “guest” editorial opportunities
- Help to create unique and powerful research content about the Maker City, using a variety of media.
Do the characteristics listed above sound like they were written with you in mind? We would love to hear from you!
This job will begin with a probationary period that will begin with 1-2 small projects, then move to 20 hr/week for a period of 14 days. If the job goes well and we truly have found a good fit, the hours will be raised to 30-40 hr/week. This position will be paid hourly from $20-$30/hr DOE.
How to Apply:
Please write a single paragraph about why this job calls to you and why it is a good fit
Please include your LinkedIn profile URL and any other relevant resume information
Please include 3-4 examples of previous work, preferably about technology or policy related topics
Email the resume you posted on JournalismJobs.com to this employer.
Don't have a resume posted on JournalismJobs.com? Click here to post one now!
Send your resume to this employer.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2017