RealClear Media Group (RCMG) is a rapidly growing independent, non-partisan company that is the most trusted source for the best news, analysis, and commentary. Founded in 2000 as RealClearPolitics (RCP), RCMG has covered all aspects of the U.S. political process and evolved to include original and vertical coverage of defense, energy, markets, education, health, history, policy, religion, books, science, sports, technology, and world news.
RCMG is seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated national security and defense enthusiast to join the team as a reporter covering the Pentagon, defense industry, and Capitol Hill for RealClearDefense (RCD) and RealClearPolitics (RCP).
- Covering leading stories evolving at the Pentagon regarding the military, military operations, and defense related issues of importance such as defense acquisition and the defense budget
- Reporting on the latest defense industry and technology developments of interest
- Occasionally covering hearings and proceedings on Capitol Hill regarding the defense budget and major issues brought before the Senate and House Armed Services Committees
- Developing contacts within the defense community and think tanks to assist with reporting, to provide in-depth analysis of topics covered.
- Producing daily reports primarily for RCD, but also RCP as coordinated by the editors of RCD and RCP
- Limited work on RCD social media platforms Facebook and Twitter to promote your work
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- BS in Journalism, Technical Writing or English Composition preferred
- Experience with either national security, defense, the military, or politics preferred (Should be passionate about defense and national security)
- Understanding of the issues regarding defense and national security
- Ability to communicate effectively with subject matter experts and within all levels of the RCMG organization
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks
- Strong proficiency with MS Office and social media applications
- Ability to communicate effectively in the realm of defense and national security
- Enthusiasm and ability to work well with others at all levels
- Experience with national security, Department of Defense, Capitol Hill, U.S. Military, or international relations