|Date Posted||October 05, 2021|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires, Digital Media|
Triangle Business Journal is looking for an ambitious, digitally savvy reporter to cover the thriving retail and restaurant business in greater Raleigh/Durham, one of the fastest-growing markets in the country.
You will join a feisty staff that tells important stories, experiments with new media and goes all out to cover our region’s rapid growth.
Our retail and restaurants coverage keeps a tight focus on the big-name chefs, entrepreneurs and investors creating jobs and developing buzzworthy spots where business executives eat, drink and gather; the major players in the retail real estate space; workforce issues that plague these all-important industries; and the industry ups and downs that often serve as the canary in the coal mine for the local economy, in general.
This reporter will also keep a close eye on business services in the region – the lawyers, accountants and consultants who do mergers, acquisitions, IPOs and other big deals.
In 2020, TBJ won General Excellence – the top award –
• Report and write short-form and long-form stories for the website and weekly print edition.
• Own the beat, dictating day-to-day coverage and thriving on digging out source-driven exclusives.
• Relentlessly develop sources and manage relationships with high-level executives and other community leaders.
• Scoop competitors on every story of any significance, not only telling them what happened, but why and how.
• Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
• Exceptional news judgment
• Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online
• A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
• Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
• Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera, helpful.
• 2-3 years reporting in a newsroom
• Track record in the news business of building, maintaining and engaging an audience in print and online.
• Social media mavens held in high regard.
• Knowledge of retail, restaurants and/or business services a plus
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
If this sounds like you, send your resume, a cover letter and three to five published clips to: Sougata Mukherjee, Editor-In-Chief, email@example.com
Triangle Business Journal is part of American City Business Journals, a profitable, growing news and information company.
• Exceptional benefits, including health, dental, vision, mental health, wellness, an employee assistance program and several specific wellness programs to help employees achieve their health goals. The company pays 83% of coverage costs.
• Strong work-life balance. There's no question that we work hard every day for our audience of top-level business owners, executives and decision-makers. Then we go home, to our families and our lives outside of the office. We have generous vacation benefits, and we don't look at you funny when you decide to use them. In fact, employees are expected to take time off regularly. It's codified into company policy.
• Wide opportunities for growth. Our company is filled with people who've been with us 10, 20, 30 years, in positions of increasing responsibility. Growth opportunities aren't limited to those who are willing to pick up and move for a new challenge. You can grow right where you are, if that's how you want to do it. We offer weekly training on specific topics; training programs that prepare our journalists to take on bigger challenges and/or move up; a formal newsroom mentoring program; and funding for external training opportunities that bring new perspectives into our newsrooms.
American City Business Journals and its 45+ publications are the No. 1 source for local business news in the nation. We publish daily online, weekly in print and deliver multiple daily email products, as well as host monthly events attended by thousands of business executives. ACBJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.