The News Editor/Content Producer (NE/CP) serves as the deputy to the editor and is responsible for the curation, optimization, packaging and production of all content that appears in print and online. It is the NE/CP’s responsibility to ensure that each issue aligns with the editor’s direction, that the production process is well-managed and timely, and that the website and e-newsletter products provide readers an optimal user experience, with an eye towards increasing overall website traffic and user engagement metrics.
A significant part of this job is producing content — namely, creating, selecting, optimizing and repurposing content for our print and online products. This person will participate in editorial board meetings with newsmakers, work closely with columnists and freelancers, manage photo and graphic assignments, and fulfill content requirements for newsletters and planned editorial features.
This position also will provide minor support and backup for the NE/CP for C4ISR&Networks.
- Curate magazine/newspaper content from a body of recently created content — identifying and selecting content that fits specific themes and topics covered in the issue
- Edit and optimize curated content for print (e.g. add headlines, trim or add for length needs, update/advance for timeliness, add online resources, add fact boxes, graphics, illustrations and photos)
- Execute the editor’s plan for content packaging (design and layout) to create a compelling and engaging editorial environment for readers
- Coordinate with the editor, design, photo and graphics departments to ensure delivery of enhanced content elements such as: photos, data for info graphics, fact boxes, illustrations, and design treatments.
- Coordinate with the editor and the Print Production and Ad Placement departments on matters concerning page layout, ad placement, replates, and print production
- Engage in copy and content editing tasks as required by workflow
- Collect and produce content as needed to compile certain content sections, including news briefs for planned new sections (e.g. Agency Roundup, Homeland Security, GSA & GWACS Update, Facebook comments), letters to the editor, the TSP chart, and more. Approximately 25% of the NE/CP’s time will be spent on original content generation.
- Edit and optimize content for the web and e-newsletter products (e.g. article headline, email subject line, article break, etc.)
- Execute the editor’s plan for content packaging (design, layout, interactive element, etc.) with the goal of creating a compelling and engaging editorial environment for visitors
- Select e-newsletter content with guidance from the editor
- Provide guidance to the Web Desk on feature art and special section treatment
- Optimize the user experience ensuring that content organization, navigation, and page elements are clear and intuitive
- Actively manage website and other featured content spaces
- Ensure that all site content is optimized for search engine indexing
- Recommend site functionality/behavior improvements that will enhance the user experience and increase engagement
- Coordinate closely with the editor to ensure delivery of enhanced content elements such as photos, related links, data for infographics, etc.
- Post news briefs online as needed that relate to our topical e-newsletters
- Assist in ensuring Federal Times’ social media goals are met and in contributing ideas for improvements to our online products and presence
Summary of required proficiencies and experience:
We seek a high-energy, well-organized person who is able to juggle many projects simultaneously in a deadline environment and continuously seek out ways to improve our print and online products.
Required proficiencies/experience include:
- At least five years experience with news reporting, news editing, web content management and print production
- Ability to optimize and curate content on various platforms
- Adept at using graphics and photos
- Liaise with many team members
- Familiarity with web metrics and analytic tools
- Web content presentation and traffic generation
- A solid grasp of federal IT and procurement issues preferred
Please apply at: https://career4.successfactors.com/career?career%5fns=job%5flisting&company=Gannett&navBarLevel=JOB%5fSEARCH&rcm%5fsite%5flocale=en%5fUS&career_job_req_id=23241&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=YJ9%2bdHYWPm%2b1Z3ftA9vKZcHmjnE%3d