Marketing and Communications Officer
A new position at Pact, the Marketing and Communications Officer/Editor is the organization’s chief writer and editor, generating original features, media releases, marketing copy, social media content, talking points, position papers and other works; editing key reports to donors and other program communications; managing freelance writers; and training colleagues to write clearly and logically.
The role requires mastery of storytelling, versatility of voice and compelling message development. The Editor “covers” Pact in journalistic fashion, rooting out interesting stories, news, data and developments that engage diverse audiences. S/he interviews colleagues throughout the organization, monitors reports for interesting leads, makes technical international development jargon comprehensible, and promotes organizational messaging.
The Editor resides in the Marketing + Communications Department and works closely with the Program Delivery and Opportunity Development departments.
• Cultivates audiences identified in the Pact Communications Plan and catalyzes them to engage with Pact, integrating Pact messaging into written content across a variety of platforms.
• Identifies and develops original content from throughout the Pact world, employing desk research, in-person/Skype interviews and field exploration.
• Repurposes content for use across an array of communications channels, including print products, interactive documents, websites, social media, e-mail blasts and video.
• Researches and fact-checks proof points in messaging.
• Edits and contributes to key proposals and donor communications.
• Writes, pitches and places media releases / op-eds.
• Works with staff and leadership to craft blog items.
• Edits staff submissions to trade groups, scholarly journals and other venues.
• Develops training material and in-person training sessions to improve quality and consistency of writing throughout the organization.
• Manages freelance writers, as necessary
• Creates and updates Pact Style Manual.
• Manages and updates editorial calendar.
• Superior storytelling skills, writing and editing ability, and versatility of voice. Portfolio required.
• Proven branding/message development experience.
• Ability to simplify and distill complex information in creative, compelling language.
• Ability to research markets and to identify touch-points with those markets.
• Social media savvy and high comfort level with digital communications.
• Innovation and creativity in messaging and modes of delivery.
• Proven ability to collaborate with, and develop buy-in from, internal customers.
• Familiarity with international development.
• International experience and sensitivities.
• Experience working with multimedia specialists.
• Command of AP Style and USAID proposal guidelines.
• Knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint; Adobe CS apps such as InCopy and InDesign preferred.
• B.A. degree in related discipline; Master’s degree in related field preferred.
• Minimum 6 years experience in journalism/communications/advocacy.
• Fluency in English and another language preferred. French a plus.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.pactworld.org