April 28, 2013
School Administrator, an award-winning, monthly magazine with a circulation rate of more than 27,000, is seeking an editorial assistant with excellent communication and proofreading skills. The magazine is the flagship publication of AASA: The School Superintendents Association, a nonprofit organization devoted to supporting public education leaders nationwide. As a member of AASA’s communications team, the editorial assistant will be substantially involved in producing the magazine’s print and online versions, as well as AASA’s Conference Daily Online, the five-day publication during the association’s national conference.
Top candidates should have previous experience on a deadline-oriented publication working in a fast-paced environment where attention to detail on an array of multimedia projects is expected. Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite and experience with CMS, Photoshop and WordPress are ideal.
This full-time position offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.To apply, send a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 24. Please note: only resumes with a cover letter will be considered. Anticipated start date is the end of June.
AASA JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Editorial Assistant
Department: Advocacy, Public Policy & Communications
Supervisor: Editor, School Administrator Magazine
Job Purpose: This position provides editorial, administrative and advertising support to the editors of School Administrator magazine and Conference Daily Online. The incumbent also will provide editorial support to AASA staff.
- Provides editorial, administrative and advertising services for School Administrator magazine, in print and electronic formats, to ensure timely and efficient production and support advertising revenue targets.
- Achieves revenue targets for editorial reprints/back orders in School Administrator magazine and classified job advertising in Conference Daily Online.
- Ensures the magazine’s online content is up-to-date and accurate on AASA’s main site and the microsite, AASA Connect.
- Works collaboratively with AASA staff and performs other duties as assigned.
- Assists editors in pre-publication fact checking and proofreading.
- Solicits information, compiles and drafts editorial copy for monthly departments in the magazine.
- Manages photo research and the solicitation of photos for each issue.
- Prepares electronic story files and handles other final preparations for monthly planning meetings with magazine designer.
- Prepares text and images for online versions of the magazine each month and posts using internal CMS and the PageTurnProdigital edition platform.
- Drafts promotional blurbs each month for AASA’s home page and e-newsletters.
- Updates magazine content on AASA Connect, specifically Ethical Educator, member blogs and resource library.
- Oversees the semi-annual book reviewing process and annual editorial cartoon solicitation process.
- Manages the day-to-day needs of the manuscript review process.
- Researches and writes occasional articles for School Administrator magazine and electronic publications.
- Responds to requests for general information about the magazine, customer service issues and reprint permission.
- Serves as liaison for electronic retrieval services.
- Manages the marketing and billing processes for magazine article reprints and back issue orders.
- Arranges delivery of materials to printer and mail houses (including mailing lists, print and mailing orders and cover letters), monitors postage account and tracks distribution information.
- Processes, copies and files accounts payable.
- Coordinates and meets target revenue goals for Conference Daily Online classified job advertising.
- Handles writing and supports tasks for Conference Daily Online, as assigned in advance of the event.
- Serves as web editor for Conference Daily Online.
Education: College degree with a major or minor in a relevant field.
Experience: Administrative or editorial experience in a fast-paced environment required.
• Ability to work independently with only general guidance on a variety of special projects concurrently.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Proficient grammar, spelling, punctuation, and proofreading skills.
• Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite and CMS required.
• Working use of Photoshop and WordPress preferred.
Job classification: Regular, support; non-exempt
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2009