National Scholastic Press Association
Director of Communications and Technology
March 6, 2013
Help an education nonprofit communicate with members in print and online
The director of communication and technology is responsible for design and delivery of information through publications and website, and for internal and external technology solutions to support the mission and needs of members and staff. NSPA and ACP provide opportunities for student journalists and their advisers to improve their knowledge, skills and craft through educational programs such as workshops and conventions and through galleries and example materials.
This person will help ensure members and potential members are clear about association benefits, creating publications and website that are attractive, professional and encourage engagement; will support the work of the staff; and will maintain a standard of excellence in the message and materials produced by the organization. This position requires a detail-oriented person with the skills to take initiative and to work independently or as part of a team; the ability to anticipate and respond to internal or member needs with an appropriate solution; the abilities to prioritize work assignments, to multi-task and to perform related tasks outside the job description.
Travel and lodging is provided to work at four out-of-state conventions per year, typically 17 nights per year. Travel and events are typically over weekends. This is a full-time, salaried, FLSA-exempt position based at the Minneapolis headquarters.
Design and produce and coordinate printing of NSPA/ACP publications • 35%
- Convention/workshop registration materials: promotional brochures (7), registration booklets (4), program book (1)
- Forms: Membership/critique, contests,
- Books: NSPA Best of the High School Press (book, CD-ROM & DVD) and ACP The Pacemaker (book)
- Guidebooks and score sheets — updated in years as needed
- Advertisements and promotional items in various formats for conventions, membership and other programs
External communication — mail and email • 10%
- Coordinate mailings to members and prospective members/convention attendees, including:
- Five conventions throughout the year; four contest mailings — two each, twice a year; two books
- Two all-member magazine mailings (coordinated with third party supplier)
- Send targeted e-mail updates to members with news about upcoming conventions, contest deadlines and other info
- Answer email@example.com email account
Website (studentpress.org) and social media • 10% Note: Does not include database functions related to website.
- Design site and maintain consistent presentation of content
- Update and maintain convention, membership and contest content (including PDF forms and public shared calendar)
- Maintain and contribute to related sites: Twitter, Facebook, convention websites, MHSPA
- Maintain online store for selling NSPA/ACP publications and other items (notebooks, press badges, etc.)
- Create online galleries of contest winners
- Research, test and implement new technologies to enhance online offerings
Office Databases • 20% Note: Some tasks in this category will be coordinated with outside consultants.
- Maintain functionality of FileMaker Pro databases used for membership, critiques, convention registration, on-site convention check-in, Best of Show entries, contest submissions, publication images, mailings, award certificates, exhibitors/sponsors, scheduling of convention sessions and speakers, accounting, document management
- Provide data analysis support (searches, reporting, export to other formats) as directed
- Solicit input from staff for improvements to maximize accuracy, eliminate redundancies, streamline processes, improve access to content/information, speed processing/returns, improve quality and ease of communication with members, and preserve transactional integrity for auditing purposes. Coordinate creation of systems/forms as solutions (detail available on request).
Technology — Software, hardware and training • 15%
- Solicit input and work to find innovative and efficient solutions to operational tasks
- Purchase, install, configure and provide tech support for office computer hardware, software and networking; installing updates, maintaining regular backups, maintain subscriptions/serve as administrator for office email, Web and domain name providers, shared office calendar, Basecamp project management software, electronic fax service, other online services
- Formulate plan for technology purchases in coming fiscal year and submit budget to executive director
- Suggest staff development training opportunities
- Orient new employees to NSPA technology systems for communication, collaboration and operations
Other responsibilities • 10%
- Maintain stocks of current brochures/publications/forms/letterhead (reprinting as necessary), print/electronic archives of past publications, electronic archives of photos, logos and fonts
- Oversee scanning/photographing and image post-processing/cataloging of all winning contest entries for use in books, Web galleries and convention slideshows; solicit and compile PDF files from schools to use in place of scanned/shot images
- Provide support for conventions, including production of convention materials, registration desk setup and coordination, entry/creation of certificates and winners for on-site Best of Show contest, creation of slideshows of contest winners for award ceremonies
- $43,000-55,000 per year, depending on experience
- Benefits include:
- Full medical and dental insurance for employee
- Paid vacation (15 days)
- Paid holidays (10 days)
- Up to 7% employer match for 403(b) retirement plan
- Professional development and training funds
MINIMUM experience and qualification requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field: computer science, information technology, communication, etc.
- Demonstrated ability with database and website management
- Demonstrated ability with Adobe Creative Suite software (InDesign, Photoshop)
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and ability to relate effectively with a diverse range of people
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks, keep deadlines and work with suppliers
- Ability to work independently and to manage projects with little direction
- Professional, friendly, courteous interpersonal skills
- Exemplary record of attendance and punctuality
- Must agree to basic criminal background check
- Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time and able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Demonstrated experience with FileMaker Pro or similar database software
- Familiarity with WordPress or other content management system
- Website management experience of at least three years
- Database creation and management experience of at least three years
- Background in student media, journalism or education
- Experience working with nonprofits, schools or government agencies
How to apply
Interested applicants should send the following as email attachments (PDF preferred and encouraged): a specific cover letter, current resume with links to online examples of work, and list of three to five references. Applicant review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The National Scholastic Press Association is the parent organization of the Associated Collegiate Press and the Minnesota High School Press Association, serving students, teachers, media advisers and others throughout the United States and in other countries. Since 1921, NSPA has sponsored national conventions and awarded the nation’s top honors recognizing the best in student journalism. Headquartered at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, NSPA and its divisions seeks to educate and recognize the work of student journalists, to improve the quality of student media and to foster careers in media.
The National Scholastic Press Association does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, disability or age.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2009