MapLight, a nonpartisan research organization that tracks money’s influence on politics, is looking to hire a Political Writer to unearth data-driven news stories from MapLight’s database of campaign contributions, politicians, legislative votes, industries, companies, and more. This position is full-time and based in Berkeley, California.
The ideal candidate will play an integral role in the editorial direction of the organization and ensure that all content is produced at a high quality and is published on schedule. The candidate must possess solid news judgment and be able to quickly adjust priorities to accommodate a 24-hour news cycle.
· Develop story ideas and write final content for publication, adhering to organization’s style and editorial policies
· Ensure that all content meets the organization’s standards for accuracy and balanced reporting
· Verify facts, dates, and statistics using standard reference sources
· Adapt news stories for dissemination across several media platforms: web, mobile, and social
· Work closely with data analysts, copy editors, and communications staff while producing content
· Two years of writing experience working as a researcher or journalist in a deadline-driven environment—journalism degree strongly preferred
· Demonstrated experience producing data-driven news stories with expertise and accuracy
· High proficiency in Excel
· Knowledge of democratic political process and inner workings of U.S. Congress and/or California State Legislature
· Strong strategic thinking, communications, problem solving, technical and analytical skills
· Previous experience working with graphic representations of data
· Solid organizational skills
· A team player with a demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative environment
· Personal dedication to MapLight’s mission and work
Desired Additional Skills:
· Proficiency in SQL
· Strong visual storyteller
This position is full-time, with salary depending on experience. This position is based in downtown Berkeley, California (near BART) and includes health and dental benefits and paid vacation.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Pamela Behrsin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Political Writer” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please. MapLight is an equal opportunity employer. Jobs at MapLight: http://maplight.org/jobs
MapLight was recently featured in a Columbia Journalism School report written by C.W. Anderson, Emily Bell, and Clay Shirky on Post-Industrial Journalism: Adapting to the Present. We have received numerous awards, including a Knight-Batten Award for Innovations in Journalism, a James Madison Freedom of Information Award from the Society of Professional Journalists Northern California Chapter, a United Nations World Summit Award for e.Governence, and a Webby nomination for Best Politics Website. MapLight is a member of the Investigative News Network.
Come work with us on the cutting edge of government transparency and accountability!