||June 12, 2018
||Newspapers / Wires
The Modesto Bee is looking for an ambitious, high-energy and audience-focused sports reporter to write engaging stories on high school, college and community sports in this growing northern San Joaquin Valley city of 215,000 and county of roughly 500,000. We’re located within 80 miles of the Bay Area, Yosemite and Sacramento.
We're looking for an enterprising reporter who can own our sports coverage and be essential and informative to all of our readers. We have evolved beyond game coverage to find compelling stories among student-athletes, the programs that serve them and the greater sports scene of the area. Our coverage area includes the city of Modesto, eight other cities in Stanislaus County and trickles into western Tuolumne County and southern San Joaquin County. There are about 30 high schools, one NCAA Division II school and one junior college school in our area. High school football is extremely important. But, we also have the Modesto Nuts, a Single-A baseball team affiliated with the Seattle Mariners, as well popular annual sports events. This reporter will take a smart approach to covering recruiting, hirings and firings, the region's top talent and trend stories (how far are our kids traveling to play, and what does it cost)? Finding that feature story that engages all readers is important. Short-form video, FacebookLive, Twitter and newsletters will all make their way into our audience growth strategy for this position. Post-production distribution on social will be vital.
- The ability to write quickly, accurately and well;
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics;
- An intuitive sense of what’s important and interesting;
- A deep understanding of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms; an understanding of metrics/analytics programs including Chartbeat, Crowdtangle and Omniture and development of story ideas derived from data;
- Ability to engage with readers and develop sources on social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter;
- Ability to understand audience lenses and correctly identify audience for selected stories.
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and high energy;
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company. We will work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving;
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Night and weekend work is expected in the course of sports events.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2018