The Lancaster News
Lancaster, South Carolina
The position of reporter at The Lancaster News, a tri-weekly paid newspaper with a circulation of 9,800 is open. This position is a general assignment reporter who covers several beats. The position reports directly to the editor. The successful candidate will have the ambition and energy to cover everything that moves in the assigned territory and be first and best with every story and photo. Lancaster is located just 45 minutes south of Charlotte, NC and 60 minutes north of Columbia, SC. The Lancaster News offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off benefits. The newspaper can also be found online at www.thelancasternews.com.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field desired
- Good writing, researching and interviewing skills
- Good grammar, spelling and punctuation required
- Competency in photography, Photoshop.
- Good pagination skills designing pages in InDesign
- Commitment to quality in all aspects, from news coverage to design
- Good organization and time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- Knowledge and interest in the Internet and Social Media
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends to cover assignments
- Must have reliable transportation to travel to assignments and a valid drivers' license
Essential job functions:
- Write news, features, and columns, as assigned.
- Take photographs as assigned and to accompany news stories.
- Cover assigned beats. Will include attending meetings at nights and covering spot news.
- Develop/write features and news for special publications, promotions.
- Come up with story ideas relevant to the local community.
- Meet deadlines.
- Serve as positive liaison with the public.
Roughly 45 hours, with some evening and weekend work required.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.