General Manager/Editor, The Red Oak Express, Red Oak, Iowa &
General Manager, The Opinion-Tribune, Glenwood, Iowa
Applications are now being accepted for the general manager/editor's position in Red Oak, Iowa, with regional management responsibility of The Opinion-Tribune in Glenwood. The weekly Red Oak Express is a 2,300-circulation newspaper (with press and inserter on site), with companion shopper, The Extender, 6,475 circulation. The Express has 9 full-time and 7 part-time employees. The weekly Opinion-Tribune, located in Glenwood with 2,000 circulation, has a 6,475 TMC product. The Opinion-Tribune has 6 full-time and 1 part-time employees. This is a great introduction to the management/leadership of a paper with its own production department. Glenwood is less than half an hour and Red Oak less than an hour outside the Omaha (NE)-Council Bluffs (IA) metro area. LCNI offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off benefits. The newspapers can be found online at www.redoakexpress.com and www.opinion-tribune.com.
- Solid writing (hard news, opinion, features), editing, and photography are musts.
- Good news judgment, as well as a nose for news, are essential.
- Good electronic page design (InDesign) skills necessary.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field is desired.
- Minimum of three years experience in the newspaper business.
- Experience in leading people is preferred.
- Good organizational, interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to learn and build upon financial management skills, to include revenue generation, cost containment, budgeting, profit analysis, in-county circulation penetration and more.
- Demonstrated high-energy level, with ability to motivate self and others.
- Commitment to quality in all aspects of the operation.
- Reliable transportation and a valid driver's license
- Hands on writing, editing, photography, and paginating for news department in Red Oak.
- Achieve results and use leadership skills to get them.
- Determine course and execute successful plans for newspaper as well as special sections, the internet, and commercial printing.
- Meet deadlines, week in and week out.
- Ensure quality of content, presentation, and packaging of the news products.
- Responsible for day-to-day operations of the two newspapers and a production department that includes a pressroom and post-press department.
- Leadership - effectively develop, motivate, and supervise small newspaper staffs.
- Provide coaching and guidance to staff in a team management setting.
- Be an active part of the communities and their respective leadership, representing the newspapers in various community functions.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2018