||January 11, 2017
||Woodbridge, New Jersey
NJ Advance Media provides content, advertising and marketing services to NJ.com, lehighvalleylive.com and New Jersey’s leading newspaper, The Star-Ledger as well as daily and weekly newspapers in New Jersey and Pennsylvania (including The Times of Trenton, The South Jersey Times, The Hunterdon Democrat and The Express-Times of Easton, PA.)
The Social Media Specialist ensures that we have robust and engaging communities across a variety of social-media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. The person in this role will help shape strategies for nurturing New Jersey-oriented news, sports and entertainment content based on continuous analysis of audience-engagement data and feedback from users. This includes but is not limited to suggesting topics for discussion in social media and collaborating with reporters, editors, photographers and videographers in our news hubs to implement initiatives aimed at engaging social audiences. The Social Media Specialist is also responsible for developing and sharing reports aimed at tracking the effectiveness of our social content. The functions of this role require someone who is enthusiastic about sharing ideas, confident in securing buy-in and quick to react to changing trends in audience engagement. The successful candidate will have a strong intuitive sense of what plays on various social platforms and an ability to quickly create content that moves an audience to action.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties and Responsibilities, work schedules and/or location may change based on evolving business needs.
- Proactively seek new ways to engage our audience across multiple social platforms and champion specific tactics throughout the organization.
- Continuously analyze performance of social content and engagement initiatives using Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics and other available metrics; re-evaluate tactics based on metrics and share experiences across the organization.
- Train news hubs in best practices for engaging the social audience through targeted topical coverage, live interactive events (chats, tweet-ups, etc.), and other means.
- Keep abreast of trends relative to social engagement in the industry and communicate them throughout the organization. Innovate new tactics based on trends in the industry and our audience and quickly adjust based on results.
- Work closely with the Advance Digital interactivity group to shape strategies for effectively engaging with the social audience and share those strategies across the organization.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications or related field required
- Minimum of two to five years of journalism experience
- Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active social audience
- Must be active on all major social networks
- Familiarity with audience engagement metrics across platforms (Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, etc.) and an ability to translate them into actionable data
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Experience with search-engine optimization practices
- Basic HTML or equivalent web language a plus
NJ Advance Media is a company positioned for the future. We embrace the rapidly evolving digital landscape and are committed to developing new solutions across current and emerging media to help advertisers grow their businesses. In addition to flexible advertising opportunities with powerful media vehicles that we represent, we offer custom digital solutions from web and mobile site development, to a sophisticated array of search and social media optimization and targeted display solutions to reach audiences on all platforms.
Our focus is on developing a real-time approach to reporting news, sports and entertainment content for consumption across all platforms and devices throughout New Jersey and Lehigh Valley.
On nj.com and lehighvalleylive.com, we ensure the communities we serve have 24/7 access to the news and information that’s most relevant locally, regionally and beyond. Our quality journalism and in-depth coverage is provided locally in The Star-Ledger, The Hunterdon County Democrat, The Suburban News, The Times of Trenton, South Jersey Times and The Express-Times.
NJ Advance Media offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes: medical, prescription drug, and dental benefits; a 401(k) Plan; life insurance and disability plans and commuter accounts.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Extensive computer use required. Some travel required. Ability to work flexible work schedules, including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
Essential functions of this job are described. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned or work schedules, as they are subject to change at any time due to management’s discretion, business necessity, or reasonable accommodation.
NJ Advance Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2017