Opening in: Newspapers/Wires
GateHouse Media’s Center for News & Design
Position: Page designer/copy editor
Are you a news page designer who loves creating pages and writing headlines that resonate with readers? Do you strive for error-free pages? Do you thrive on deadline? Would you enjoy working with other visual journalists in Austin, Texas? If so, you're the person we're looking for to join GateHouse Media's growing Center for News & Design.
The design center buzzes with energy as designers create compelling pages for communities across the country. The center is part of a long-term strategy to offer a range of content services to GateHouse newspapers and market those services to other media organizations.
All applicants must submit design clips or links to online portfolios.
As a designer/copy editor, you will:
- Design engaging pages using Adobe InDesign
- Offer creative solutions to content presentation
- Write sharp headlines and provide a final read of all copy
- Work with local editors throughout the country to improve our publications
Here's what you need:
- Experience designing news pages in InDesign on deadline.
- Ability to handle curveballs on hard deadlines
- Team mentality and ability to interact proactively and productively with colleagues
- Creativity with an eye on deadline
- Proven line-editing skills and knowledge of AP style
- Passion for journalism