Opening in Newspapers/Wires
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is offering internships for the summer of 2015.
Summer internships are paid, 10-week programs. Interns are treated as full-time professional journalists.
Must be a rising junior, senior or graduate student. We also accept applications from those who have graduated within six months of the start of the summer internship.
Daily deadline writing and reporting experience preferred. Experience shooting video, taking photos, and using other digital skills also preferred. Must have worked on the campus newspaper or website and/or had previous professional news internship.
We're looking for someone with a strong news sense -- ideally a person who has already worked at one regular reporting internship - who has a deep interest in working with data as the starting point of a story. Programming skills preferred but not required. What's required, above all else, is a desire to work with data along with the ability to fumble through Excel and learn SQL. Knowledge of statistical packages, such as R, and mapping is a plus.
Data Visualization Developer
We're looking for someone who has solid web development and design skills, as well as a knack for making clean, clear, creative interactive graphics.
- Experience with drawing libraries like D3.js and mapping libraries like Leaflet or Google Maps API.
- Major plus: experience with a server-side scripting language such as Ruby or Python, or graphics experience with an eye for great design (or both!)
Send us your online portfolio or links to your work, and/or your github username.
- Familiarity or experience with premier pro or similar editing software
- Comfortable shooting video/interviewing & interacting with the public
- Basic photography/framing skills
- Video production experience a plus
To apply, send:
- A short note on why you want to be a journalist and how an internship at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution will help you pursue your goal.
- Note the internship you’re interested in: reporting, interactive graphics, database work, multimedia
- 3 samples of your best work
- References (contact information for 2).
Send applications by Nov. 15, 2014, to:
Charles Gay and Cynthia Dubose
Decisions are made by the end of this year. Successful candidates will be notified.
For more information, see our internship page - designed by 2014 summer interns. http://internships.ajc.com/