Regional Reporter for western North Dakota
The Dickinson Press
The Dickinson (N.D.) Press has an immediate opening for a Regional Reporter to cover one of the fastest-growing and newsworthy areas in the nation.
The Press is a six-day morning newspaper (no Monday edition) with a 7,000 print circulation and a growing Web readership that serves the country’s third fastest-growing micropolitan area and the city livability.com recently named the No. 1 small town in America. We are a part of Forum Communications Co., a family-owned media company based in Fargo, N.D., that is striving for innovation and improving our workplace culture.
The primary beats for this position include agriculture, outdoors and conservation, western North Dakota politics -- especially aspects linked to the Bakken oil industry and the state’s energy industry -- and six rural counties. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with the ability to cover daily news stories, and write features and enterprise articles, develop a social media base and help institute any other new ideas he or she may have.
The Dickinson Press is routinely recognized as an award-winning newspaper in both state and national contests. Many of our recent reporters -- including the person who vacated this position -- have moved on to larger newspapers or to other positions within Forum Communications.
Dickinson is located on the edge of the North Dakota Badlands and Theodore Roosevelt National Park, which offers many outdoor opportunities. There is also plenty in the city to keep residents busy, including a $25 million community and fitness center, a growing arts community, an outdoor summer street fair and concert series, and more. It truly is an exciting time to live here. Possible housing assistance is available.
– Have a journalism degree, or similar, from a four-year college.
– Have journalism experience at daily newspaper. Recent journalism school graduates with internship, daily newspaper or college newspaper experience are encouraged to apply.
– Be able to cover breaking news and write under tight deadlines, and do so in proper AP style.
– Have experience InDesign, as well as photography.
– Have strong decision-making, communication and interpersonal skills.
– Be a motivated, self-starter who can produce award-winning ideas.
– Have a valid driver’s license, a driving record that is insurable by the company and a reliable source of transportation.
Please send a cover letter, resume and no more than five writing clips, as well as any samples of page design and photography, and three professional references to Managing Editor Dustin Monke at email@example.com no later than April 30.