|Date Posted||February 16, 2017|
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief and Senior Editor
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time
ThinkProgress has an immediate opening for a reporter to join our Climate team in working to advance progressive climate and environmental policy through fact-based reporting and analysis.
The climate reporter will work with a Senior Editor and Associate Editor, as well as several other climate reporters, toward ThinkProgress’ shared goal of accountability for the Trump administration and Congress by monitoring daily and breaking climate and environmental news; identifying long-term trends and under-covered issues; reporting both from the office and on the ground; and finding new angles to bring these stories to a progressive audience.
This position will focus primarily on the numerous ways politics interacts with science, climate change, and energy policy, such as: conflicts of interest, scientific integrity, and lawmakers’ efforts to roll back regulations. Ideal candidates will be passionate about politics and progressive policy and eager to chase down leads and uncover new information. Strong news sensibilities, a working knowledge of climate and environmental issues, and familiarity with reporting and writing for the internet are a must. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by WGA East.
- Closely monitor climate and environmental news coming out of the administration and Congress, identifying which stories are most important for ThinkProgress’ day-to-day coverage.
- Pitch original angles on both the leading news in the space and stories that aren’t receiving as much attention or coverage.
- Write a mix of quick daily news items that keep our audience apprised of major developments in the space, along with longer reported pieces when the topic lends itself to more in-depth coverage.
- Cultivate sources to augment reporting.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- At least two years of experience working in media
- Familiarity with progressive news broadly and ThinkProgress’ mission and climate coverage specifically
- Passion for politics and climate-related policy and for finding new ways to cover a challenging set of issues
- Strong research and writing skills
You can excel in this position if you:
- Are self-motivated but work well with others
- Can ably juggle more than one piece at a time
- Communicate well with your editor
This position is not for you if you:
- Struggle to generate your own story ideas
- Need coaching on basic writing skills
- Have difficulty varying your pace of coverage
- Dislike monitoring political news
Email the resume you posted on JournalismJobs.com to this employer.
Don't have a resume posted on JournalismJobs.com? Click here to post one now!
Send your resume to this employer.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2017