- Provide daily non-partisan news coverage of the 110-member Michigan House of Representatives
- File breaking news alerts, stories throughout the day and final daily pieces
- Develop sources with House members and staffers from both sides of the aisle
- Coordinate with editor, Michigan Senate and Executive Branch correspondents
- Develop sources within the lobbying/interest communities necessary to perform the job within a competitive news operation
- Edit material written by other staff members
- Remain current on all issues pertinent to Lansing's capitol community, the Michigan House, Senate and Executive Branch of State Government
- Participate in production of daily on-line capitol news service
- Be proficient with and effectively use electronic resources including social media to perform the job
1-3 years experience in news industry or equivalent publishing/journalism field. Ability to work well with a small team of journalists and administrators while covering lawmakers from both sides of the aisle as they work on a diverse issue set.
Ability to understand the intersection of interest groups, lawmakers and staff, the public and the lobbying community as part of the larger public policy process in the State of Michigan.
Candidates may be required to pass a writing test for this position
MIRSnews.com has been selected by lawmakers, lobbyists, staff members and elected leaders as the most effective capitol news coverage in Michigan 10-years running. In business since 1961, the company offers 401K with match, health care and is an equal opportunity employer. Posting closes March 1.
Email the resume you posted on JournalismJobs.com to this employer.
Don't have a resume posted on JournalismJobs.com? Click here to post one now!
Send your resume to this employer.